We are very grateful to receive an interesting new collection of photographs relating to the work of the Wiveliscombe Mule Depot.
The Mule Depot in Wiveliscombe was set up in early 1915 in addition to existing Mule Depots in the county under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel G. H. Badcock.
The people of Somerset were told to look out for the animals moving around the county, as reported in the Devon and Exeter Gazette:
The Devon & Exeter Gazette 9 January 1915
Mule Depots were created in West Somerset due to the proximity to Avonmouth docks. The animals entered the country via the docks, and went on to rest on Somerset farms before going to their duties in Europe.
In the Devon and Exeter Gazette of March 25 1915, ‘Tenders are invited‘ by Lieut.Col. Badcock to supply the Mule Depots hay, grain, and oats ‘between 1st May and 31st July 1915.’ No.10 Depot is based at ‘Messrs.J. and W. Dunn’s, Jew’s Farm, Wiveliscombe‘.
There is just a couple weeks left to see the Somerset Remembers exhibition at the Museum of Somerset. The exhibition is on display until 3 January 2015.
The exhibition tells the story of how the county was affected by the events of 1914-18 and how people have remembered the war, and those lost in it. It focuses on the wider impact of the war on the county and looks at themes such as women and children, agriculture and local efforts to support troops.
There are objects, photographs and costumes for visitors to enjoy, as well as telegraphs, medals and weapons. The exhibition also features artwork by Somerset artist Jon England.
The museum is open from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm (last entry 4.30 pm) Tuesday to Saturday, and Bank Holiday Mondays. Entry to the museum and the exhibition is free.